Thursday, January 14, 2010

Where have I been?

First let me say how much I have missed you guys - unfortunately I may be gone for a bit longer, but I will try to sneak in a few words here and there.


So, where have I been? Well some of you may know I have Cancer. You wouldn't know it by looking at me except for a scar or two. I still go to the gym almost daily, run, swim, lift weights and that sort of thing; anything to keep going strong. Anyway, I am up in Portland, Oregon undergoing some radiation treatment along with Chemotherapy. Its all cool. I am ex military so it is all paid for, so thank you all for your contributions!


The type of cancer I have is kind of rare - it is a mixed glyoma (please don't ask me to spell it out!) basically a brain tumor. Its cool though. I have survived two craniotomies, radiation & chemotherapy in the past as well. This hospital is ranked 4th best in the country for this type of treatment and my team is fantastic! Portland is a fun town and has lots to do in my off time when I am not sleeping the radiation and drug effects off.


At this hosptial, they have a wing called Dormbecher's hall. It is a wing for kids with various severe medical conditions. In order to get to Starbucks I have to walk down the hallways of this place and see many of the kids - it is heartbreaking, but awe inspiring and humbling all at the same time. If you ever think you have it tough and that life has dealt you a raw deal, go look at kids with cancer - they are so fucking tough and brave! It will make you feel petty and weak and your prolems nothing. I would trade places with any one of them in a heart beat. I figure I have lived a pretty full life and seen the world, met lots of people and had some pretty good sex along the way too. Most of these kids have rarely seen the outside of a hospital without some sort of medical equipment tagging behind, let alone getting laid or anything like that. Despite all that, these kids always have smiles, playing around and doing as best they can to have a good quality life. My problems are nothing. Don't even get me going on how the parents of these kids must be going through,....I can't imagine the pain.


Anyway; I hope that everyone is enjoying this winter and living life to the fullest and remember, no matter how bad you have it, chances are someone has it worse. Smile and get on with living. No one ever said things would be easy.

Love you guys!

5 comments:

  1. Hey good to see you round! Hope you had a nice holiday season.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I have missed you , Oregon is awesome... still sending them wishes of healing your way. Got to start emailing again when you get time and feel like it ... Love Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are doing good. I have missed you here in blogland. lots of LOVE AND HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eirik, Lee sent me here. I just wanna wish you the best of everything as you power through this challenging time which I have no doubt will only keep you stronger! I am thinking of you and sending you lots and lots of positing thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eirik...Your post, as always, is inspiring. I'm very familiar with cancer, my mother is a two time surivior. Once, with bladder cancer, which was very rare and she went through five months of torturous stem cell chemotherapy, and then with lung cancer, where they removed half of her lung. The surgery was the least of it. It was the stem cell chemo that really was hard. But that was over thirteen years ago, and she's still going strong today. She went to Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, and between her determination and great docs, she pulled through.

    As I know you will, too. And if you ever need to talk or rant, or anything, you can e-mail me at any time and I'll listen.

    I'll be thinking of you...sending you positive thoughts...and waiting for your next blog post. XXXOOORyan

    ReplyDelete